24.1 C
Brisbane
Saturday, December 5, 2020

Why government suspended Middle East Consultants, five other labour firms

Must read

‘Respect us!’ President Kenyatta warns foreign countries against meddling in Kenyan affairs

President Uhuru Kenyatta has slammed foreign countries over what he termed as trying to interfere and direct Kenya on how to run...

Kenya confirms 866 new COVID-19 cases

Kenya on Friday reported 866 new coronavirus cases over the past 24 hours, the Health Ministry said. “Today, 866...

Salva Kiir: South Sudan’s president in a cowboy hat

Salva Kiir Mayardit became the first president of Africa's newest country - South Sudan - in 2011, and within two years was...

U.N. panel says South Sudan blocking its missions to violence-hit areas

Implementation of South Sudan’s 2018 peace accord has stalled and authorities have blocked humanitarian access to areas where conflict has restarted, the...

DAILY MONITOR 28 FEB 2020

Government of Uganda has suspended at least six labour export companies from operation over fraud related claims after they were accused of charging illegal registration and placement fees.

The suspended companies include Middle East Consultants, Elite Placement Consulting, Eagle Supervision, Elite Winners Agency, Spotlight International and High Ground International Limited.
“These companies have been suspended and have been directed to desist from any acts of labour externalisation as from February 2020. Any one dealing with them does so at his / her own risk,” said the Ministry of Gender, Labour and Social development said in a statement dated February 18.

The Ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Mr James Ebitu said that the decision followed complaints received regarding unscrupulous actions of charging of illegal registration and placement fees.


He said he had written to the companies directing them to refund the monies collected illegally by February 17, 2020 but they did not respond.
According to PS, the companies had been warned that failure to refund the said monies would lead to immediate suspension of their licenses.


“Unfortunately, a number of companies did not comply with the said directive and have failed to pay back these monies as of midnight yesterday (February 17) the companies have not complied.


He explained that Regulation 29 of the Employment (Recruitment of Uganda Migrant workers Abroad) Regulations 2005 limits the chargeable administration fees to Shs50, 000 and that any further placement fees must be approved by the ministry.


Mr Ebitu also cited Regulation 29 (3) which provides that placement fees shall be collected from a Ugandan Migrant Worker only after he or she has signed the employment contract.

“We thank those companies that are compliant and support our noble objective of ensuring that migration for workers is safe, orderly, regular, productive and dignified,” he added.
The suspension comes after complaints were raised against the ministry and its officials for allegedly rejecting to renew operating licenses.


In the case filed before Kampala High Court, Competitive Manpower International Limited is seeking for orders to compel the Ministry of Labour to renew its operating license which expired in July 2017.

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article

‘Respect us!’ President Kenyatta warns foreign countries against meddling in Kenyan affairs

President Uhuru Kenyatta has slammed foreign countries over what he termed as trying to interfere and direct Kenya on how to run...

Kenya confirms 866 new COVID-19 cases

Kenya on Friday reported 866 new coronavirus cases over the past 24 hours, the Health Ministry said. “Today, 866...

Salva Kiir: South Sudan’s president in a cowboy hat

Salva Kiir Mayardit became the first president of Africa's newest country - South Sudan - in 2011, and within two years was...

U.N. panel says South Sudan blocking its missions to violence-hit areas

Implementation of South Sudan’s 2018 peace accord has stalled and authorities have blocked humanitarian access to areas where conflict has restarted, the...

South Sudan opens court for gender-based violence

South Sudan's government, in partnership with UN agencies, set up a special court Thursday to handle gender-based violence (GBV) cases which continue...