21.4 C
Brisbane
Friday, October 23, 2020

Burundi suspends all flights, screens returnees and visitors for Covid-19

Must read

KCB closes branch after South Sudan envoy to Eritrea collapses, dies inside the banking hall

Police in Nairobi are probing the mysterious death of South Sudanese ambassador to Eritrea Michael Nyang’ who collapsed and died at the...

South Sudan: Severe flooding increases health risks amid multiple emergencies

Severe flooding is affecting an estimated 800,000 people across a wide swath of South Sudan, inundating homes and leaving people without adequate food,...

Burundi: Sixty-five organizations call for the immediate release of Iwacu journalists

On the first anniversary of their arrest, 65 organizations call for immediate andunconditional release of the Iwacu journalists Agnès Ndirubusa, Christine Kamikazi,...

Burundi ex-leader rejects life sentence for murder

Burundi’s former President Pierre Buyoya has rejected a life sentence he received in absentia this week over the 1993 assassination of his...

XINHUA 21 MAR 2020

 Burundi has suspended commercial flights departing or landing at Melchior Ndadaye International Airport to bar the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).

A press release signed on Saturday by Transport Minister Jean Bosco Ntunzwenimana stated that the suspension will be effective as from March 22 at 9:59 p.m. Burundi time (19:59 GMT).

“All international commercial flights departing or landing at the Melchior Ndadaye International Airport are suspended for a period of seven days to counter the COVID-19,” said Ntunzwenimana in the release.

He however indicated that only cargo flights, ambulance flights, flights with humanitarian purposes and diplomatic flights will be exempted from this decision.

“Their staff will however be subjected to medical control,” said Ntunzwenimana.

This measure follows other decisions taken earlier this week.

They include the measure of suspending the delivery of visas until further notice — a measure announced on Thursday by Burundian Foreign Affairs Minister Ezechiel Nibigira in a meeting with diplomats accredited to Burundi and representatives of international organizations.

Earlier on Tuesday, the Burundian government suspended overseas business travels by government officials to bar the novel coronavirus.

So far, no COVID-19 case has been reported in Burundi. Enditem

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article

KCB closes branch after South Sudan envoy to Eritrea collapses, dies inside the banking hall

Police in Nairobi are probing the mysterious death of South Sudanese ambassador to Eritrea Michael Nyang’ who collapsed and died at the...

South Sudan: Severe flooding increases health risks amid multiple emergencies

Severe flooding is affecting an estimated 800,000 people across a wide swath of South Sudan, inundating homes and leaving people without adequate food,...

Burundi: Sixty-five organizations call for the immediate release of Iwacu journalists

On the first anniversary of their arrest, 65 organizations call for immediate andunconditional release of the Iwacu journalists Agnès Ndirubusa, Christine Kamikazi,...

Burundi ex-leader rejects life sentence for murder

Burundi’s former President Pierre Buyoya has rejected a life sentence he received in absentia this week over the 1993 assassination of his...

Mixed Reaction to South Sudan Currency Rule

 Business leaders in South Sudan's capital, Juba, say the government's new rule ordering all transactions be conducted in South Sudanese pounds rather...