23.6 C
Brisbane
Tuesday, December 1, 2020

DCI detectives arrest Kenyan pilot in connection with Sh39bn fake arms deal

Must read

Charity warns of famine in South Sudan

South Sudan is facing a potential risk of famine due to the effects of protracted conflict, flooding, and a poor economy, an...

Uganda/Kenya: Uganda Ends Kenya’s Under-20 Afcon Dream

Cecil Odongo - Rising Stars' dream of participating in the 2021 Under-20 Africa Cup of Nations came to a sudden halt on...

Kenya regrets Somalia decision to expel envoy – PS Macharia

OLIVER MATHENGE - Kenya's foreign affairs principal secretary Kamau Macharia has expressed regret at Somalia's decision to expel Ambassador Lucas Tumbo.

Tigray forces claim to have shot down an Ethiopian plane, taken the town

Forces from Ethiopia's northern region of Tigray said they had shot down a military plane and retaken a town from federal forces...

KENYAN 14 MAR 2020

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations has announced the arrest of a Kenyan pilot in connection with the Sh39 billion fake arms deal.

Subow Mohamed Ahmed, a Kenyan Pilot working with a local Aviation company was arrested based on the strength of a stop order issued by DCI Headquarters Investigations Bureau.

Investigators on Tuesday interrogated two employees of a telco accompanied by the firm’s lawyer.

The name of the firm whose employees are involved is yet to be made public by the DCI.

Investigators are trying to unravel under whose instructions the employees deleted data from the late AP Sergeant Kipyegon Kenei’s phone on the morning of February 19.

Detectives managed to get the data from servers of the mobile phone service provider as they try to crack details surrounding Kenei’s death.

Three Department of Defence staff in the procurement department are believed to have prepared the Sh39 billion fake procurement contract for the supply of military equipment.

Kenei, according to the DCI, was a key player in the fake military tender and had been seen as a principal witness against the scam.

DoD spokesperson Bogita Ongeri already clarified that military procurement follows strict laws under the Public Procurement and Disposal Act and that no procurement of arms was underway.

The fake arms procurement contract was allegedly supposed to be signed between DoD and two Polish businessmen in Ruto’s Harambee House Annex office on February 13 before detectives were tipped off.

DCI boss George Kinoti is on record saying Kenei was killed by powerful individuals.

Kinoti told the Star yesterday that they had enough clues linking the individuals to the murder and subsequent cover-up.

“We have identified the persons of interest and that will be the focus of our investigation going forward,” he told the Star moments after he addressed a lengthy press conference where he played CCTV footage showing Kenei’s last moments.

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article

Charity warns of famine in South Sudan

South Sudan is facing a potential risk of famine due to the effects of protracted conflict, flooding, and a poor economy, an...

Uganda/Kenya: Uganda Ends Kenya’s Under-20 Afcon Dream

Cecil Odongo - Rising Stars' dream of participating in the 2021 Under-20 Africa Cup of Nations came to a sudden halt on...

Kenya regrets Somalia decision to expel envoy – PS Macharia

OLIVER MATHENGE - Kenya's foreign affairs principal secretary Kamau Macharia has expressed regret at Somalia's decision to expel Ambassador Lucas Tumbo.

Tigray forces claim to have shot down an Ethiopian plane, taken the town

Forces from Ethiopia's northern region of Tigray said they had shot down a military plane and retaken a town from federal forces...

Hand over coup plotters, Burundi tells Rwanda

IVAN R. MUGISHA - Burundi’s President Evariste Ndayishimiye wants Rwanda to extradite the 2015 coup plotters in the country, saying this has...