17.2 C
Brisbane
Saturday, September 19, 2020

French court rejects new inquiry into the death of president Habyarimana that sparked Rwanda genocide

Must read

FACEBOOK WATCH: WATER CRISIS HIT JUBA

Water tankers in Juba are on strike a move staged to hike water prices. A normal barrel of water used to...

South Sudan teachers not paid for 13 months, set off strikes in Jonglei State

High school teachers in Jonglei State are protesting in demand of about 19 million South Sudanese pounds that should have been paid...

Rwanda: Tanzania, Rwanda to Resolve Cross Border Trade Hurdles

TANZANIA and Rwanda have agreed to meet at the end of this month to discuss and address various bottlenecks that impede smooth...

Progress on South Sudan peace agreement ‘limps along’

Progress on implementing the South Sudan peace agreement is halting partially due to the coronavirus pandemic, according to a special representative of...

A Paris appeals court rejected a request to reopen an investigation into the 1994 death of Rwanda’s president Juvenal Habyarimana, which sparked a genocide that killed 800,000 people, lawyers said Friday.

Families of those who died along with Habyarimana when his plane was downed will appeal the decision to France’s supreme court, their lawyers announced.

The appeals court in Paris had been asked to revisit a 2018 decision to throw out the probe against nine members and former members of incumbent President Paul Kagame’s entourage in a case that has poisoned relations between the two countries.

A plane carrying Habyarimana, from Rwanda’s Hutu majority, was shot down in Kigali on April 6, 1994, unleashing a killing spree that would leave 800,000 people, mainly Tutsis but also moderate Hutus, dead.

The plane was struck by at least one missile as it came in to land at Kigali, also killing Burundi’s president Cyprien Ntaryamira, another Hutu, on board.

A probe was opened in France in 1998 after a complaint by families of the French plane crew.

Ties broken

The investigation initially focused on allies of Kagame, a Tutsi who led the Rwandan Patriotic Front (RPF) rebel movement that came to power after defeating the extremist Hutu regime.

Kagame, who became Rwanda’s president in 2000, broke diplomatic ties with Paris between 2006 and 2009 after France issued arrest warrants for his allies.

Then in 2012, a report by French experts pinpointed the camp of Kanombe, controlled by Habyarimana’s army, as the missile launch site – shifting the investigation’s focus.

Kigali said that finding vindicated its belief that the attack was carried out by Hutu extremists who believed Habyarimana was too moderate and who opposed the Arusha peace process then under way.

As investigations dragged on, Kagame accused France ahead of the genocide’s 20th anniversary in 2014, of having played a “direct role” in the killing.

And in November 2016, Kigali launched an inquiry into the alleged role of 20 French officials in the genocide that began hours after the plane was brought down.

‘Past is behind us’ 

France has always denied the allegations and last year, President Emmanuel Macron announced the creation of a panel of historians and researchers to look into the claims.

In December 2018, French judges dropped their probe for lack of evidence.

Families of the victims of the missile attack, including Habyarimana’s widow Agathe, lodged an appeal against that ruling.

At a January hearing, prosecutors urged the court to confirm the 2018 decision to abandon the case.

Kagame agreed.

“I believe that the past is behind us,” he told the Jeune Afrique weekly news magazine this week.

“Reopening a classified file is to invite problems,” he said. “If things are not definitively clarified, our relations are likely to suffer one way or another.”

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article

FACEBOOK WATCH: WATER CRISIS HIT JUBA

Water tankers in Juba are on strike a move staged to hike water prices. A normal barrel of water used to...

South Sudan teachers not paid for 13 months, set off strikes in Jonglei State

High school teachers in Jonglei State are protesting in demand of about 19 million South Sudanese pounds that should have been paid...

Rwanda: Tanzania, Rwanda to Resolve Cross Border Trade Hurdles

TANZANIA and Rwanda have agreed to meet at the end of this month to discuss and address various bottlenecks that impede smooth...

Progress on South Sudan peace agreement ‘limps along’

Progress on implementing the South Sudan peace agreement is halting partially due to the coronavirus pandemic, according to a special representative of...

Burundi: New Government, but no progress insight on the human rights front

Following the 2020 presidential, legislative and local elections, the fifteen-year presidency of Pierre Nkurunziza came to a close and a new era...