24.4 C
Brisbane
Saturday, December 5, 2020

Illegal land occupants in Central Equatoria given 24 hours to vacate

Must read

Salva Kiir: South Sudan’s president in a cowboy hat

Salva Kiir Mayardit became the first president of Africa's newest country - South Sudan - in 2011, and within two years was...

U.N. panel says South Sudan blocking its missions to violence-hit areas

Implementation of South Sudan’s 2018 peace accord has stalled and authorities have blocked humanitarian access to areas where conflict has restarted, the...

South Sudan opens court for gender-based violence

South Sudan's government, in partnership with UN agencies, set up a special court Thursday to handle gender-based violence (GBV) cases which continue...

Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko impeached

The ward representatives supporting the motion anchored on violation of the Constitution, abuse of office and gross misconduct. During the Thursday, December...

The central equatorial state has given illegal land occupants in Bilinyang Garbo, Juba county, 24 hours to vacate the area.

Governor of Central Equatoria state, Emmanuel Adil Anthony, meets state security representative to tighten security in CES

The state office released a statement calling on the land-owners to use the rightful legal procedures of owning the land after the governor and his delegation visited the area earlier today.

“Following the Governor’s visit to the Bilinyang Payam of Juba County and his accompanying delegation today, the state government has ordered the illegal land occupants in Bilinyang Garbo area to immediately vacate the area in question within 24-hours and follow the rightful procedures of owning a land as enshrined in the constitution,” read a statement released the acting secretary-general of the state, Francis Luwala.

The statement further called on the area residents to protect the image of the army and the nation at large by avoiding issues of land grabbing and uphold their code of conduct as stipulated in the SPLA act.

Francis Luwala further warned that drastic measure will be taken to the illegal occupants who will resist the directive 

“that any attempt to resist the directive of immediate vacation of the area shall be treated more drastically and the decision reached shall be final as well,” the acting secretary-general of the state stated.

Last week, an army commander was ordered by a Juba court to vacate a house he had been occupying but he refused and threatened the police officer who had gone to enforce the order.

The issue of land grabbing in South Sudan has been going on since the country gained independence in 2013. Many of the Internally Displaced Persons in camps have accused senior police officers of forcefully occupying their houses.

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article

Salva Kiir: South Sudan’s president in a cowboy hat

Salva Kiir Mayardit became the first president of Africa's newest country - South Sudan - in 2011, and within two years was...

U.N. panel says South Sudan blocking its missions to violence-hit areas

Implementation of South Sudan’s 2018 peace accord has stalled and authorities have blocked humanitarian access to areas where conflict has restarted, the...

South Sudan opens court for gender-based violence

South Sudan's government, in partnership with UN agencies, set up a special court Thursday to handle gender-based violence (GBV) cases which continue...

Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko impeached

The ward representatives supporting the motion anchored on violation of the Constitution, abuse of office and gross misconduct. During the Thursday, December...

SPLM/A-IO recaptured Morota, slain SSPDF General as fighting run concurrently with the SPLM/A-IO 6th National Conference

South Sudan’s main armed opposition, the SPLM/A-IO, has recaptured Morota and slain the SSPDF General who led offensives on their positions in...