Abyei Area Under Attack: A Call for Justice and Security in South Sudan
On January 27, 2024, the Abyei Area faced a harrowing assault, as Nyinkuac Market in Abyei town, Kadhian, Majbong, Juoljok, and Kolngolnyang bore the brunt of devastating attacks, resulting in significant loss of civilian lives.
The aftermath has left 52 individuals dead and 64 others wounded, including women, children, and elderly individuals. These attacks were reportedly carried out by the Tivie Armed Youth, the Gai Machiek Militias based in Ajak Kuac in Twic County of Warrap State, and a faction of Nuer Youth, casting a shadow of anguish and despair over the Abyei region.
In response to these tragic events, the Abyei Joint Oversight Committee (AJOC) has issued a press release:
1. Extending heartfelt condolences to the families of the victims and urging swift recovery for the wounded.
2. Strongly condemning these unlawful attacks targeting innocent lives, especially those in vulnerable categories.
3. Calling upon UNISFA to intensify efforts to ensure the safety and security of civilians in Abyei Area in line with the United Nations Security Council mandate.
4. Urging the National Government of South Sudan and its security apparatus to promptly implement the Presidential Order to restore law and order, as explicitly outlined in the Presidential Order.
5. Advocating for immediate justice intervention to investigate the incident and bring the perpetrators to justice.
This incident underscores the urgent need for justice, security, and protection of civilians in the Abyei Area, and highlights the complexities and challenges faced by this region.