Bor Hospital’s strike has been called off, and work has resumed.
Bor Hospital, South Sudan’s primary referral hospital, has reopened after a one-day agitation for unpaid incentives was called off on Friday.
Dr Ajak Garang, one of the striking medical doctors, explained in a Radio Tamazuj report seen by NCMP: “The strike was called off on Friday evening after involvement by the state administration. We visited with the state governor, who assured us that he would engage the (health) partners. Our issue is that we have not been compensated for two months.”
On Thursday of last week, all employees at Bor State Hospital, including physicians, nurses, and cleaners, went on strike when a 72-hour deadline for payment of incentive payments expired.
While nurse John Anyieth Malaak confirmed that work resumed Friday, he added that they would be compelled to lay off again if their demands were not satisfied by September 15.
“Since we speak, work at the hospital is proceeding regularly, as we want to give them time to react. As a nurse, I earn $350 a week. Some, such as cleaners, earn $45. “That changes,” he said.
Dr Bol Chaw Manyang, the hospital’s medical director, said that the institution coordinates with health partners to ensure that mid-November pays the two-month incentives.