International Day For The Elimination of Violence Against Women this year assumes great significance amid the COVID-19 pandemic. During the unprecedented lockdown, countries across the world have reported increased cases of domestic violence.
Women’s organizations and rights bodies are pushing governments to take measures to protect young girls and women caught in the cycle of violence.
International Day For The Elimination of Violence Against Women is a United Nations designated day observed every year on November 25.
Theme Of International Day For The Elimination of Violence Against Women 2020
In a big push, this year the UN has given a clarion call for ending gender based violence. The 2020 campaign theme is ‘FUND, RESPOND, PREVENT, COLLECT’. Like every year, ’16 Days of Activism’ against Gender-Based Violence (GVB) campaign starts today and ends on December 10.
The UN Women is working closely with violence survivors, activists, all the stakeholders, and people from every walk of life to fund, reach-out, and respond faster.
International Day For The Elimination of Violence Against Women: How You Can Help
- “Listen to and believe survivors”
- “Do say: We hear you. We believe you. We stand with you.”
- “Teach the next generation and learn from them”
- “Learn the signs of abuse and how you can help”
- “Take a stand by calling it out when you see it: catcalling, inappropriate sexual comments and sexist jokes are never okay”
- “It’s important to remember that when discussing cases of sexual violence, a victim’s sobriety, clothes, and sexuality are irrelevant”
- “Fund women’s organizations”