Kiir fired the deputy minister of public service.
President Salva Kiir sacked the deputy minister of public service, a key member of the South Sudan Opposition Alliance, on Monday evening (SSOA).
In a proclamation read out on official television, Deputy Minister Gen. Khalid Botrous Bora, who had held the office for more than two years, was fired. He was fired for no apparent cause.
His dismissal came after President Kiir, First Vice President Riek Machar, and SSOA leaders decided to unify the leadership of the military forces, as required in the 2018 peace deal.
President Kiir also replaced Khalid Botrous with Gen. Julius Tabuley Daniel, who is also a senior member of SSOA, in another proclamation.
Both Khalid and Tabley are members of the National Salvation Front (NAS) faction of the South Sudan Opposition Alliance.
The parties to the peace accord signed a security agreement in Juba in early April, outlining the parameters for integrating SPLA-IO and SSOA leaders into government forces.
President Kiir’s group received a 60 percent participation in key leadership posts in the military, police, national security, wildlife, and prisons under the agreement. The remaining 40% was taken by Riek Machar’s SPLA-IO and SSOA.
On behalf of SSOA, Gen. Khalid Butrous signed the agreement.