NAS accuses South Sudanese army of crimes against civilians
The National Salvation Front (NAS) accused the South Sudanese government army of committing war crimes and forced displacement of civilians in the Central Equatoria State (CES).
In a statement extended to the NCMP on Wednesday, NAS Spokesman Suba Samuel Manase said the South Sudan People’s Defense Force (SSPDF) arrested and displaced civilians after lotting their properties and destroying their homes.
Manase said the SSPDF arrested 20 people and burnt their huts in the area around Wounduruba on 23 May. The same, on 24 May arrested 30 people in Rudu village.
The government forces “displaced the whole (Rudu) village and forced some civilians to escort them to where NAS bases are; risking the lives of these civilians since they were been used as a human shield,” he added.
The spokesman also said that over 100 families had been forced to leave the Ombaci area after burning their huts.
“This SSPDF strategy is aimed at uprooting all the civilians from their villages and to force them to live in the government-controlled towns as Internal Displaced persons (IDPs) while forcing others to flee and cross the international borders into refugee camps,” he said.
The rebel official stressed that his group is monitoring these developments and pledged to defend them.
However, he reiterated they are committed to the cessation of hostilities as provided in Saint Egidio’s mediated Rome Declaration of 20th January 2020