DIT ABRAHAM KUANY (JUBA). South Sudan has confirmed its third COVID -19 case, a contraction from the first coronavirus confirmed case’s victim.
Addressing members of the press in Juba on Thursday, President Salva Kiir confirmed the third case as 28 year old female UN staff who having been staying together with the first case COVID-19 patient in Juba before she travelled to Torit Town – Eastern Equatoria State on 16th of March.
“So far, we have three confirmed cases of COVID-19, all from the people who have travelled to Juba and Torit. So practically, COVID-19 is in Juba and Torit. And we must prevent it from spreading across the country.
“A total of 66 contacts have been listed, the ministry of health and rapid response team has collected samples from the contacts of the three cases. We are now tracing more contacts of all the confirmed cases” said Kiir
However Dr. Makur Koriom – the spokesperson of the High-Level Taskforce on COVID-19 says five contacts of the 28 year old female UN employee have been listed.
“The third case is a 28 year old UN worker in Torit. She has been in the country for a while and she is a contact of the first case. They were together up to the 16th of March before she traveled to Torit. As part of our contact tracing, we were able to locate her in Torit and immediately isolated her; we took and transported the samples to Juba on Tuesday and yesterday evening, we got the results positive” said Makur
President Kiir has appealed to citizens to follow the precautionary measures issued by the Ministry of health.