South Sudan’s Vice President tests positive for COVID once again as regulations tighten.
One of South Sudan’s five vice presidents tested positive for Covid-19 for the second time, only a day after announcing a slew of measures to stem the spread of the virus.
At a news conference on Tuesday evening, Vice President Hussein Abdelbagi Akol disclosed that he took the test after feeling ill for “a few days.”
He said that he had been “suffering from a cold and flu, and I decided to do a Covid-19 test, which proved to be positive.”
“I’ve already sequestered myself at home.” “All family members and personnel at my workplace will be tested, and suitable precautions will be made to [avoid] the virus from spreading further at my house and office,” Akol added.
This is the VP’s second positive test for the virus since May of last year.
The national taskforce on Covid-19 issued mobility restrictions in South Sudan on Monday evening in order to control the spread of illnesses.
“The taskforce today announces a public order to implement partial lockdown measures from December 21 to January 20, 2022,” VP Akol declared.
Burial activities were limited to a maximum of 20 family members.
“We are advising the people to refrain from receiving dead corpses in large numbers at airport reception and cemeteries,” he added.
The VP ordered that all entertainment venues and other social gatherings follow the Covid-19 containment procedures.
On Monday, the government also enforced a night curfew from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
“Wearing a face mask is now required, and citizens must maintain social distance while avoiding handshakes,” Akol said.
The Ministry of Health has verified over 500 new cases in the previous three days as of Monday.
This brings the total number of coronavirus cases in South Sudan to 13,500, while deaths remain at 133.